Skip to main content

Do you think it's okay to compare yourself with others?




There isn't a person I haven't compared myself to. Not even the fictional characters. I compare myself to almost everyone I come across, regardless of age. In a sense to find the similarities and differences between myself and them, both physically and mentally.

People say, "Look in the mirror...that's your competition."

Though I don't completely dissent from this view, I do think competing with others is as important as competing with our past self. If there is no comparison, there is no competition. Without comparing myself to others I wouldn't know where I stand today. You need comparison in life to drive you more, to push yourself one step ahead and to upgrade yourself to higher levels.

Yet the only satisfaction I get in comparison is when I do it with myself. If I'm better than yesterday, I feel proud; if not, I feel the need to strive for better. Either way, I believe self-comparison is fine and doesn't harm you in any way.

 I came to later realize that, I, as a person, unintentionally, unconditionally compare myself to others from time to time. But each time I compare, I also see myself getting mired in the dissatisfaction of have-nots rather than getting motivated. We don't compare ourselves to others when we have what others have. It's when we don't that we generally do.

The adventures they get to experience which I don't. The luxuries they enjoy which I can't afford to. The opportunities they get which I can only dream about. These differences stir a jealousy within myself, thus making me feel inferior. This further leads to insecurity which, in turn, makes me lose my individuality. Learning from others may help, but not at the cost of losing my original-self. The goal of comparison is to raise the bar, not to create a replica.  It's not about being the best of all, it's about being the best of oneself.

That doesn't mean I shouldn't compare myself to others right?. Or should I?.

To be honest, I have not the foggiest idea of it.

Although the differences are what I can see the most when comparing, the similarities, even if few, reassure me that others too are ordinary, just like how I am. And the feeling of familiarity it grants when I find a common flaw brings that person one step closer to me which reminds me of one sure thing: If they can do, I can do too.

When I need confidence, I think of those who look up to me. When I need a quick reality-check, I compare myself to the people I look up to. Upward-comparison lets me know how much I lack, whereas downward-comparison lets me know of my own good fortune.

As long as I measure only my progress with others and not my values, comparisons with others are not all bad, I deem.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXO KAI's Songs And Books Recommendations

I know recommendations are subjective. I don’t, in general, care about an artist’s recommendations if they don’t match my taste, but Jongin’s recommendations intrigue and fascinate me to a great extent. And when I say he has an eclectic palate, it is something we all must agree upon. Songs List His unique, yet daring taste inspires me to try and give a chance to different genres other than mainstream. THE WEEKND - MONTREAL G.SOUL – DIRTY JONGHYUN - FORTUNE COOKIE PRIMARY, OHYUK – BAWLING DVSN – HALLUCINATIONS MURA MASA – LOVESICK BRUNO MARS – THAT’S WHAT I LIKE D.O, YOO YOUNGJIN – TELL ME WHAT IS LOVE MIGUEL – ADORN TAEMIN – SEXUALITY NAO – BAD BLOOD DYNAMIC DUO – EAT, PRAY, SLEEP THE INTERNET – GIRL DEAN – POUR UP JONGHYUN – INSPIRATION BUMKEY – MY EVERYTHING MURA MASA – WHAT IF I DO THE WEEKND – D.D KIM YEON WOO – MOVE BRANDY – SLOWER G.SOUL- BEAUTIFUL GOODBYE TAEMIN – MYSTERY LOVER SOLANGE – DON’T TOUCH MY HAIR EXO – FIRST LOVE I’M A HOTSHOT –

Chicago Typewriter - An exceptional for its kind.

For someone who always shuns that (periodical) side of K-dramas entirely, Chicago Typewriter not only came as a surprisingly high-quality entertainment but also as an unforgettable experience. I feel like it's wrong for me to not write a review for this. Therefore, here I go. For the first time, in my long journey of watching dramas, I felt my heart racing at the beginning of each episode. The first and highest of many praises must be given to the brilliant writer, Jin Soo Wan. Her past works including Kill Me, Heal Me and The Moon Embracing the Sun are my favourites. But this script of hers is a notch higher. They got me from the very first scene. The idea of a writer getting into his character by living as one hooked me instantly. After that, the thought of "quitting" never once came into my mind throughout the drama. TITLE: "Chicago Typewriter" - The title came from the name of a gun which sounds like a typewriter when it is being fired. GENR

Interpretating Don't Be Shy - Primary ft. Choa MV.

*(It was done for a game in our K-POP group, and I just felt it would be fun to post this here.) Click to watch the Music Video here.   LYRICS INTERPRETATION: